D Language 2.0

"Jérôme M. Berger" jeberger at free.fr
Tue Jan 19 10:49:11 PST 2010

Walter Bright wrote:
> Jérôme M. Berger wrote:
>>     Embedded x86 is an oxymoron. Yes, I know, it exists (and btw, 8
>> years ago they were still selling 486s as "embedded" processors) but
>> mostly it doesn't need any special support (except possibly on the
>> binary size front and even there 80k is nothing to the XXX megabytes
>> used by the off-the-shelf OS+GUI+Web browser). Face it, there are
>> two kinds of embedded developers:
>>
>> - Those who want performance at very low power usage, who use ARM
>> and C with a specialized OS. Those won't use D, period. Most of the
>> time, they won't even use malloc or most of the C standard library
>> (not saying they're right here, but I doubt you will change them);
>
> I've looked at some embedded ARM evaluation boards that have Linux on
> them. Don't know much else about them. What about things like phones,
> game machines?

	Well, I was caricaturing a bit. There is a lot of Linux and/or
Windows Mobile development on ARM platforms, but I don't think those
targets need anything special beyond ARM code generation any more
than the x86 target. The reason why they use ARM is often that they
have all-in-one chips with the ARM CPU and all the specialized
hardware they need in one package (especially true for mobile
phones). Once they start using a heavyweight OS and applications,
they fall in the second category.

		Jerome
mailto:jeberger at free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr