D Language 2.0

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Jan 20 14:22:53 PST 2010

BCS wrote:
> Hello Andrei,
>
>> The nice part about refcounting is that for the most part you don't
>> need to cripple the language.
>>

> I think people are trying to say that disallowing use of GC stuff
> wouldn't cripple the language.

Well it's a fact that there would be fewer idioms and options
accessible. So I didn't mean it in a derogatory way as much as a factual
statement.

> Also there is one thing that -nogc would have over what you are talking
> about; you could use it on some modules and not others. If I have some
> performance critical code where attempting to use the GC would break
> it's perf contract, I can put it in it's own module and compile just it
> with -nogc and then link it in with code that does use the GC.

Meh. This has been discussed in the C++ standardization committee, and
it gets really tricky real fast when you e.g. use together several
libraries, each with its own view of memory management. My impression:
don't.

Andrei