D Language 2.0

BCS none at anon.com
Wed Jan 20 20:43:58 PST 2010

Hello Andrei,

> BCS wrote:
>
>> Also there is one thing that -nogc would have over what you are
>> talking about; you could use it on some modules and not others. If I
>> have some performance critical code where attempting to use the GC
>> would break it's perf contract, I can put it in it's own module and
>> compile just it with -nogc and then link it in with code that does
>> use the GC.
>>
> Meh. This has been discussed in the C++ standardization committee, and
> it gets really tricky real fast when you e.g. use together several
> libraries, each with its own view of memory management. My impression:
> don't.

Why would having one chunk of code get checked for calls to the GC and another
not be any more complicated than mixing malloc/free+add/removeRoot with normal
GC? I'm beginning to wonder if I'm calling for something different than other
people are.

What I'm thinking of would have zero effect on the generated code, the only
effect it would have is to cause an error when some code would normally attempt
to invoke the GC.