D Language 2.0

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Jan 21 02:57:57 PST 2010

Walter Bright:
> You can design a system that has "free these blobs of memory I'm keeping
> in reserve if I run out and hopefully that will be enough", but that
> strategy needs to be part of the gc itself, not user recovery code.

Do you mean that the D2 GC API needs to grow something to tell that a less important memory block (object, array) can be deallocated by the GC in low memory conditions? How can this work in the user code?
(And it can be positive to define a standard way the D GC talks with the virtual memory subsystem of the operationg system, to avoid useless swaps from and to disk).

Bye,
bearophile