Isn't it time

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips+D at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 10:14:47 PST 2010

Steve Teale Wrote:

> That this newsgroup was renamed digitalmars.d2. Probably > 80% of the discussion here is on topics relating to the evolution of the language. Don't get me wrong, as soon as D2 is stable, I'll be the first to switch.
>
> But where does the current discussion leave those of us who want to use D  and talk about the usage of what is the current mainstream core of the language - 1.055 - if I understand the situation correctly? That should be digitalmars.D.
>
> If there was discussion about how good it was that the various flavors of the language were getting in sync, and on idiom, and on cool D programming techniques, and on explanation, I'm sure the newsgroup would pull more people in.
>
> As it is, the uncommitted with some interest in D visit occasionally, and leave with the same old, same old feeling.
>
> Let's try to turn D into a really active living language, not some vague future possibility. Perception is everything!

Actually this has come up before and the consensus was that digitalmars.D is the group about the development of D. And that digitalmars.learn is poorly named because discussion about using D goes there.

And some of what you would like to see already happens in 'learn', but you are welcome to add to it. An attempt to make this clear was put on the Wiki4D site[1], please change the text if you have something better (I realize most people are not introduced to the groups through Wiki4D, but I do hope the site is a better introduction to D than the official site).

http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?NewsDmD