D Language 2.0

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Thu Jan 21 13:00:10 PST 2010

retard wrote:
> On Linux the processes almost always stay on main memory, and only start
> to fill swap when running out of main memory. So unless you have no swap
> set up, OOM cannot happen unless the swap is >95% filled. OOM inside the
> GC's virtual memory space can happen earlier, of course.

Yeah, that's another thing I should have mentioned. When you're running
Windows or Linux at the edge of running out of virtual memory, which is
when the gc would fail to allocate memory, the system tends to go
unstable anyway.

This is because (as I mentioned before) few apps handle out of memory
properly.