Isn't it time

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Fri Jan 22 03:54:11 PST 2010

Fri, 22 Jan 2010 12:26:12 +0100, Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:

> Steve Teale wrote:
>> That this newsgroup was renamed digitalmars.d2. Probably > 80% of the
>> discussion here is on topics relating to the evolution of the language.
>> Don't get me wrong, as soon as D2 is stable, I'll be the first to
>> switch.
>>
>> But where does the current discussion leave those of us who want to use
>> D  and talk about the usage of what is the current mainstream core of
>> the language - 1.055 - if I understand the situation correctly? That
>> should be digitalmars.D.
>>
>> If there was discussion about how good it was that the various flavors
>> of the language were getting in sync, and on idiom, and on cool D
>> programming techniques, and on explanation, I'm sure the newsgroup
>> would pull more people in.
>>
>> As it is, the uncommitted with some interest in D visit occasionally,
>> and leave with the same old, same old feeling.
>>
>> Let's try to turn D into a really active living language, not some
>> vague future possibility. Perception is everything!
>
> Well, seeing as D2 is supposed to be finished in only a couple of
> months, we should in my opinion stop referring to it as D2, and just
> call it D.  If there is need for separate newsgroups, they should be
> called digitalmars.d1 and digitalmars.d, not digitalmars.d and
> digitalmars.d2.
>
> After all, when we speak of Java, we don't usually mean Java 1.1.
>
> There is, however, definitely a need to rename the newsgroups.  This
> newsgroup should be called d.dev or something, and d.learn should
> replace this one.  This would most likely lead to more traffic and more
> interesting discussions on the "learn" forum, with the added benefit of
> not scaring away newbies with the sometimes rather heated debates going
> on here.

Hmm http://www.scala-lang.org/node/199

D <-> scala
D.announce <-> scala.announce
D.learn <-> scala.users
D.{dtl,dwt,ide,debugger} <-> scala.tools
nothing <-> scala.debate
nothing <-> scala.internals

I don't think D requires a D.academic for papers since probably no
postgraduate level paper has ever been written about D. A group for
discussing compiler/language internals and debate would be useful though.