Google's Go

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 23 10:01:56 PST 2010

== Quote from Steve Teale (steve.teale at britseyeview.com)'s article
> I see that Go has now usurped D's former place at #13 in Tiobe - which I realize
of course does not mean anything. But I'd be interested to hear what the D
aficionados think of Go.
> It probably would not suit Andrei.

Well, Go's garbage collector clearly isn't very good because the language doesn't
delete itself.

Seriously, it may eventually evolve into a decent language, but right now it's
just too minimalistic to be at all practical.  Just off the top of my head from
reading about it a few months ago, the lack of asserts, exceptions and Windows
support is enough to turn me off to it.

Multiple return values are a horrible substitute for exceptions, because they
require the programmer to explicitly check the return value.  (When's the last
time you checked the return value of printf, or even malloc?)  IMHO the best thing
about exceptions is that they provide a sane default for error handling:  If you
don't handle them then you've effectively asserted that they can't happen in your
situation.  If this "assertion" fails, then our program fails fast and with an
error message that massively narrows down where the problem is.  I flat-out refuse
to program in a language where the default is for errors to be ignored and I have
to constantly write explicit error-checking boilerplate even if I don't care about
handling the error.