Google's Go

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sat Jan 23 12:19:52 PST 2010

Bane wrote:
> Nick Sabalausky Wrote:
>
>> "Steve Teale" <steve.teale at britseyeview.com> wrote in message
>> news:hjf9uk$1trp$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>> I see that Go has now usurped D's former place at #13 in Tiobe - which I
>>> realize of course does not mean anything. But I'd be interested to hear
>>> what the D aficionados think of Go.
>>>
>>> It probably would not suit Andrei.
>>>
>> It's a gimped, obfuscated and immature imitation of D.
>> It's little more than a concurrency-model experiment masquerading as a real
>> language.
>>
>> Also:
>> - As far as I'm concerned, its real name is "Issue 9" (search "google go
>> issue 9").
>> - It's the Buick/Cadillac/Oldsmobile of computer languages: Garbage that
>> gets attention solely because of the name(s) attached.
>> - Does nothing to change my opinion that Google has done nothing noteworthy
>> outside of search engines and maybe their ad service.
>>

> It looks like to me they are making Google Goo for prestige. Search engine, browser, now programming language... Whats next? OS? Laptops? Fast food franchise?

I don't understand all the criticism behind Google's product. Of
corporate software producers, Apple and Google are the two ones making
products that work reliably and are carefully designed.

Besides, there's not much conspiracy going on. People at Google go off
and do their own projects all the time. I don't see Go part of a careful
ploy. (For one thing it would be much more polished in that case.) It is
also known inside Google circles that Go's authors are not language
designers, and that is visible in the quality of the language. (That
could change any time; Google does employ quite a few good language
designers who may contribute to Go in the future.)

I think Tiobe's method of measuring language popularity is rather noisy.
Go is unfinished on Unix, not present on Windows, and all around
severely lacking in vision and originality. There's no way in hell it
would be the world's #13th popular language. (For the record, I also
don't think D ever was #13, but with luck that's going to change
starting this year.)

Andrei