Google's Go

Roman Ivanov isroman-del at ete-km.ru
Sat Jan 23 14:36:04 PST 2010

Roman Ivanov Wrote:

> Andrei Alexandrescu Wrote:
>
> > Bane wrote:

> > > It looks like to me they are making Google Goo for prestige. Search engine, browser, now programming language... Whats next? OS? Laptops? Fast food franchise?
> >
> > I don't understand all the criticism behind Google's product. Of
> > corporate software producers, Apple and Google are the two ones making
> > products that work reliably and are carefully designed.
>
> They get lots and lots of undeserved attention. Even when the final products are not that great, and occasionally when the people praising them would be hostile towards the same kinds of products from smaller companies.
>
> Reception often border on being an outright hysteria. It's mostly the fault of the people who react this way, but both companies put a lot of effort in creating this effect via various kind of marketing too.

Also, a lot of Google's recent software initiatives are really weird stuff with highly questionable value. However, because of the reception mentioned above, they kind of bend the existing software infrastructure and culture around themselves. Not in a good way too.

For example, I really don't like the idea that Wave is going to be a replacement for the aging email infrastructure. (Which might not happen, but that's how it's marketed.) I don't like the idea of an 8-gig operating system that's designed to run one application. (Not entirely true, but close enough to reality.) Those things might be of high quality, they may be reliable in their own way, while still having negative effect on software industry as a whole.