Google's Go

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat Jan 23 15:14:55 PST 2010

"Roman Ivanov" <isroman-del at ete-km.ru> wrote in message
news:hjftkk$3up$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Roman Ivanov Wrote:
>>
>> They get lots and lots of undeserved attention. Even when the final
>> products are not that great, and occasionally when the people praising
>> them would be hostile towards the same kinds of products from smaller
>> companies.
>>
>> Reception often border on being an outright hysteria. It's mostly the
>> fault of the people who react this way, but both companies put a lot of
>> effort in creating this effect via various kind of marketing too.
>
> Also, a lot of Google's recent software initiatives are really weird stuff
> with highly questionable value. However, because of the reception
> mentioned above, they kind of bend the existing software infrastructure
> and culture around themselves. Not in a good way too.
>
> For example, I really don't like the idea that Wave is going to be a
> replacement for the aging email infrastructure. (Which might not happen,
> but that's how it's marketed.) I don't like the idea of an 8-gig operating
> system that's designed to run one application. (Not entirely true, but
> close enough to reality.) Those things might be of high quality, they may
> be reliable in their own way, while still having negative effect on
> software industry as a whole.

Agreed on all the above.

And personally, I'd add a few more points:

1. I'd add "cloud computing" to the list of questionable initiatives (or at
least questionable outside of certain niche use-cases that I'm sure probably
do exist).

2. Their software generally reminds me of Apple software (no offense, or
bait, intended to any Mac-users here) in that, IMO:

2.1. They tend to have lousy attention to detail (Google Code looks clean
and pretty, and maybe it's reliable, but trying to use it absolutely drives
me nuts. Plus, the stuff I mentioned about google maps in another post).

2.2. They're annoyingly slim on configurable settings (stuff I mentioned
about google maps in another post, and why in the world they think I should
be force-fed a non-standard custom skin in Chrome).

2.3. For their desktop apps, they like to force useless always-resident
services onto my system.

3. Heck, Google is a web-oriented company, and I just hate modern web
technology. ;)