What's left to do for a stable D2?

Don nospam at nospam.com
Sun Jan 24 07:49:18 PST 2010

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Don wrote:
>> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

>>> Walter doesn't want. This will go down as one of the larger language
>>> incapabilities.
>>>
>>> Andrei
>>
>> What's the reason? Does he dislike the concept, or feel it's a
>> implementation disaster, or something else?
>
> There are concerns about implementation difficulty and also about
> muddying other parts of the language, e.g. T.init may fail.

Good to know.
I think not having struct default constructors muddies some other
things, though. For example, I don't see the point of struct invariants
if it's possible to create a struct which doesn't obey the invariant.

I think the semantics of T.init are a bit doubtful already. Consider
that floats default init to NaN, and char.init is not a valid UTF
character. I don't think the existing T.init is trouble-free.