What's left to do for a stable D2?

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Sun Jan 24 18:59:38 PST 2010

dsimcha wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, how hard is 64-bit to implement given that you already have
> a 32-bit compiler?

Shouldn't be that bad. After all, the current code generator survived
going from 16 to 32 bits with about 90% of it unchanged.

Probably a lot more work will go into writing the inline assembler.

I'll have a big problem with the (nonexistent) 64 bit linker on Windows,
and a lesser problem with the nonexistent debugger and librarian. That
means that the first 64 bit dmd will be for Linux/OSX.