What's left to do for a stable D2?

Mon Jan 25 07:13:17 PST 2010

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> grauzone wrote:
>> Don wrote:

>>> It's only the language spec which is getting frozen, not the libraries.
>>> TDPL intentionally doesn't say much at all about Phobos.
>>
>> Well, you see, as TDPL is releases, there will be much attention on D,
>> and people will go and try it out. Keep in mind that those people will
>> know next to nothing about D. If the first what they'll experience is
>> crashing on the chaotic documentation, that's going to be a major
>> disappointment. It's like giving a birthday party without cake.
>
> Expending a fraction of the energy spent in wringing hands on actually
> helping with the documentation would mark a definite improvement.
>
> Andrei

I'm not too worried about the quality of documentation, and as has been
mentioned before, it's probably not necessary to finish Phobos before
TDPL comes out.

What I think should be done, however, is to clear out the parts of
Phobos you intend to remove or substantially rewrite.  First impressions
matter, and I think it's better for a (potential) new user to be met
with "this currently isn't available, but check back in a little while",
rather than with a set of perhaps-not-so-well-designed modules that will
disappear after some time anyway.

-Lars