D's auto keyword

Justin Johansson no at spam.com
Tue Jan 26 14:35:38 PST 2010

downs wrote:
> Justin Johansson wrote:
>> Happy New Year 2010 Everybody.
>>
>> Having resumed C++ nationality for the last few months, I kind of miss D's auto keyword.
>>

> If you're on gcc or a compiler that allows the typeof extension:
>
> #define DECL(A, B) typeof(B) A = B
>
> :)

Thanks. I uncovered the keyword recently when I inadvertently typed
"typeof" instead of "typeid" and the editor in Eclipse CDT made no
complaint.  Consequently I searched both web and boost source for
for usages of typeof and soon found that it was just an extension
for gcc (and perhaps some others).

It's a real pity for C++ that typeof keyword hasn't been standardized.
Accordingly Boost doesn't use typeof.  However, I noticed that they
sometimes make some use of the
"typedef-decl-nested-inside-a-class-or-struct-trick" to exact static
type on occasions when typeof would otherwise suffice.

Cheers
Justin Johansson