Google's Go

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Wed Jan 27 04:16:45 PST 2010

On 2010-01-26 22:34:38 -0500, "Steven E. Harris" <seh at panix.com> said:

> KennyTM~ <kennytm at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Users can reassign most keyboard shortcut in Mac OS X.
>
> That's not what I mean. There are applications where it's not possible
> to bind any key to certain essential operations, such as "move the
> cursor from the tree pane thing on the left to the list-like pane in the
> center, and back again".
>
> I played with iCal for a while in the Apple Store one day, amusing
> myself with punishment. There's a keyboard shortcut to bring up a small
> "go to date" dialog, which allows one to type in a date. But the enter
> key doesn't "confirm" the dialog. I could not find any keystroke that
> had the same effect as pressing "OK", or whatever the accepting button
> is labeled. Is that a cruel joke?

That looks like an oversight. It looks like the date entry field eats
all keyboard events. I agree it's particularly bad, especially since
it's the typical interface element you'd want to access with the
keyboard. But I must also say I don't see that often in OS X
applications.

There's still a way out with the keyboard: activate the VoiceOver
spoken interface (Cmd-Fn-F5), then use its shortcuts (Ctrl-Alt-Arrows)
to navigate to the control you want. But it's definitely overkill for
something that should just work.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com