std.string will get the boot

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri Jan 29 12:43:34 PST 2010

Andrei Alexandrescu:
> I think the idea of tags is awesome, particularly because it doesn't
> require one to divide items in disjoint sets. I'll think some more of it.

A hierarchical D/Python-like module system isn't the only way to organize blocks of code. Both future Windows file system and Google Email use tags to create groups of items in a less disjoint way. But I don't know if it's possible to design the equivalent of a module system based on tags instead of a hierarchy of modules/packages (and superpackages). It seems a cute idea.

>>32 bits are not enough to represent certain "characters", they need more than one of such dchar. So dchar too may be a bidirectional range.<<
>[citation needed]<

I am far from expert about such hairy matters, so I can be wrong. This is from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-32

>Though a fixed number of bytes per code point seems convenient, it is not used as much as the other Unicode encodings. It makes truncation slightly easier but not significantly so compared to UTF-8 and UTF-16. It does not make calculating the displayed width of a string any easier except in very limited cases, since even with a "fixed width" font there may be more than one code point per character position (combining marks) or more than one character position per code point (for example CJK ideographs). Combining marks also mean editors cannot treat one code point as being the same as one unit for editing.<

That paragraph of text also links to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combining_character
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CJK

Bye,