std.string will get the boot

Robert Jacques sandford at jhu.edu
Fri Jan 29 22:16:44 PST 2010

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 15:18:14 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu

> Lutger wrote:
>> On 01/29/2010 06:36 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> One problem I foresee is the growth of std.algorithm. It already has
>>> many things in it, and I fear that some user who just wants to trim a
>>> string may find it intimidating to browse through all that
>>> documentation. I wonder how we could break std.algorithm into smaller
>>> units (which is an issue largely independent from generalizing the
>>> algorithms now found in std.string).
>>>
>>> Any ideas are welcome.
>>>

>>> Andrei
>>  I like how naturaldocs, which is similar to ddoc helps with this: by
>> adding a group tag. See this example of a summary of a class:
>>  http://www.naturaldocs.org/documenting/reference.html#Example_Class
>>  Probably it is possible to come up with categories for algorithm like:
>> - functional tools
>> - searching and sorting
>> - string utilities
>>  Arguably a more D like alternative is to make std.algorithm a package
>> and each 'category' a module of that package.
>
> I think the idea of tags is awesome, particularly because it doesn't
> require one to divide items in disjoint sets. I'll think some more of
> it. It might require changes in ddoc. At any rate, sounds like a D3
> thing. Until then, I think I'll add to std.algorithm in confidence that
> we can scale the documentation later.
>
> Andrei

By the way, in the sort term you could greatly improve the usability of
std.algorithm by cleaning up the index ("jump to") at the top of the file.
A simple alphabetical listing would be great and you could easily start
grouping links under categories (which would eventually become tags)