Google's Go

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Sat Jan 30 10:46:50 PST 2010

John D wrote:
> "Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
> news:hjg3b0$elr$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>> You know, even though I'm one of the resident Google-haters here, I
>>> have to admit, I saw a thing on TV about Google's company cafeteria,
>>> and - OMG, I'm jealous of it!
>> I've eaten at the Google cafeteria. It's very nice, and would be a
>> compelling perq to work there.
>>
>> BTW, while I understand your concern about corporations inevitably
>> growing in size until they rule the world, the historical experience is
>> otherwise.
>
>> Once they reach a certain size,
>
> And what size is that? And more importantly, how long does it take?

I don't have the list handy, but take a look at the largest companies in
America (by market capitalization) for each decade. You don't have to go
very far back before you stop even recognizing the names.

>> they tend to collapse from inefficiency and bureaucratic ossification.
>>
>> For example, GM! I could list dozens of others.
>
> Is that supposed to be consolation to the little sapling that couldn't
> grow or have a life because the big tree's roots sucked up all the
> nutrients and ominous branches blocked the sun?

The book "The Innovators' Dilemma" lists many stories about small
companies successfully competing with established dominant ones.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060521996/classicempire