Google's Go & Exceptions

John D jdean at googling.com
Sat Jan 30 21:17:26 PST 2010

"dsimcha" <dsimcha at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:hk24v0$23di$1 at digitalmars.com...
> == Quote from John D (jdean at googling.com)'s article
>> A programmer who does the above is not a good programmer. That said, a
>> compiler that doesn't warn that variables or arguments have gone
>> unused
>> in a function is not a good compiler. That said, a language that
>> doesn't
>> enforce return val checking is not a good programming language.
>
> Think about it for a minute.  When is the last time you checked the
> return value
> for printf() in C?  Would you really want the compiler nagging you
> about something
> like this?

I have thought about it that's why I stated it instead of writing it as a
question. (I'm being a little bit facetious, cuz there is more than one
way to solve a problem). I can restate it as a Q though, for it is a
language design question: Requiring that all return values must be
checked by the developer and having it enforced by the language
specification and compiler: good or bad?