Google's Go

John D jdean at googling.com
Sat Jan 30 21:43:05 PST 2010

"Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:hk1uqu$1omt$1 at digitalmars.com...
> John D wrote:
>> "Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
>> news:hjg3b0$elr$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>> I've eaten at the Google cafeteria. It's very nice, and would be a
>>> compelling perq to work there.
>>>
>>> BTW, while I understand your concern about corporations inevitably
>>> growing in size until they rule the world, the historical experience
>>> is otherwise.
>>
>>> Once they reach a certain size,
>>
>> And what size is that? And more importantly, how long does it take?
>

> I don't have the list handy,

Your "theory" is quite the strawman. Don't worry about it, I'm not
calling you out on it. You can "have the last word" if it makes you feel
good.

> but take a look at the largest companies in America (by market
> capitalization) for each decade. You don't have to go very far back
> before you stop even recognizing the names.

Well, I don't care to continue this line of discussion, for this is a
tech group, but doing the "referring thing" rather than addressing the
key points is worse than not saying anything, FYI. Your weak "theory"
just dropped to zero. (No offense). (It's not actually your "theory" that
I have issue with, but rather that you take some surface statistics, like
a manager that just reads the reports of numbers each month and bases
decisions on those "controls", when that has little relative meaning
compared to real major issues and how to solve problems or make things
better or knowing things).