TDPL a bad idea?

Bane branimir.milosavljevic at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 01:25:50 PST 2010

> Why a killing of trees for a manual that changes daily and can be on the
> internet? What is the point of TDPL? To make money? I don't see any value
> in a set of pages that are a manual for a constantly changing and
> unestablished computer programming language. Can't yaz save the trees and
> offer it for sale on the web to anyone who wants to pay for it? It's easy
> to setup a PayPal website (though I think D is far from that if ever). I
> don't see this thing selling in bookstores. A hard copy of an already
> obsolete specification? If it's just charitable contribution from long
> time afficionados, why not just .org and ask for contributions and not
> kill trees?

This might actually be a good point. I have a thought or 2 about it. A reason to save trees:
 - TDPL is changing, true, and online format is much easier to update, navigate, search, and eco friendly. TDPL would be obsolete (for current version of language) before it is published.
 - I guess, those couple of trees destined to give its bodies to make paper for TDPL will do more good for the world making O2.
 - and authors of it won't be corrupted by money they could earn by selling it, so they can continue to give their knowledge and time for free

On the other hand:
 - some people love to hold paper in ther hands and read while not in front of computer. there are many much more comfortable and healthier places you can do that.
 - some people will find it useful no matter it is not the latest release, same as D1. every tool has its user. not everybody will use most current version of language, as some are happy with old one as well.
 - 'to make money' is just as valid reason for publishing and selling TDPL as is  'to make C++ programmers life easier' for making and giving away D language for free for all people, including damn leeching bitching tree lovers
 - you can easily kill a tree - it doesn't kills back. try that will polar bears.
 - TDPL wont have 3e17+ copies to print, so you can relax. amazon forests wont disapear thanks to andrei and walter (green peace wont organize protests to destroy D as eco hazard)
 - they can always use recycled paper for printing, like old c++ manuals  (not to mention PHP, as it is already more used as toilet paper in its original form)

that covers the most of it...