slow compilation speed

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 2 17:58:33 PDT 2010

When I build dcollections without unit tests, compilation takes less than
a second.  Although, all the classes/interfaces/structs are templated, so
there is very little actually generated code.

When building unit tests, I have 8 collection types.  Each type is built
with 8 integer types (unsigned/signed 8bit, 16bit, 32bit, and 64bit).

With unit tests (no optimization), compilation takes well over a minute.

I don't really understand what is consuming the cycles to compile, but I
do note that the resulting binary (that just does unit tests on
dcollections) is 10MB.

Does anyone else have similar results?  I don't think it's the spell
checker this time, because there are no errors :)

I don't really know how to file a "bug" on this, because I don't know how
to narrow down the problem.  All I can say is, try compiling dcollections
with unit tests (can be done via build-lib-linux.sh unittest script in the
root dcollections directory).  And yes, I'm compiling all files at once.

And use the d2 branch version.

-Steve