What are AST Macros?

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Tue Jul 13 10:20:03 PDT 2010

Tue, 13 Jul 2010 13:09:08 -0400, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 11:48:30 -0400, retard <re at tard.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:53:12 -0400, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>>
>>> Brainfuck is basically a toy example of a language.  Nobody uses it
>>> for serious work.
>>
>>> Having used php for the last year in my job, there is one thing I
>>> appreciate: with a language that is focused on string manipulation, it
>>> is so much better to be able to simply output variables inside strings
>>> rather than having to exit a quotation, and use a concatenation
>>> operator.
>>
>> Php is basically a toy example of a language.  Nobody uses it for
>> serious work. You just think your work is serious, but it isn't. Php
>> shows what the world would look like if it was created by an
>> "intelligent designer".
>
> No, it's you who are not serious ;)
>
> php sucks as a language, but its what I have to work with.  There are
> some good parts to it.

There are no good parts in PHP, but you're right that it is used in the
real world.

>>> I don't have much experience with these languages except that in
>>> college while taking a scheme course, I wanted to create a bonfire out
>>> of all parentheses keys.
>>
>> Sounds really mature. "I have no experience with D, it's just some
>> shitty language with lots of semicolons - yea, lots of semicolons is
>> all I remember and that after finding Python I've never looked back -
>> Python is the most native high-performance language I know". You've
>> probably missed 99% of the power of Lisp by only focusing on
>> parenthesis.
>
> So go join the lisp newsgroup and give out online high fives.  I'll just
> stay right here, thanks :)

It doesn't matter what language you use. The concepts are the same
regardless of the syntax. If I liked the parenthesis hell, I'd probably
use Lisp. But it's still not a good argument to bring up every time Lisp
is being discussed. You're dismissing all intelligent discussion by
ranting about the syntax. Almost everyone here agrees that Lisp has too
little syntax, so that point doesn't bring any new value.