What are AST Macros?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 13 10:30:19 PDT 2010

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 13:20:03 -0400, retard <re at tard.com.invalid> wrote:

> It doesn't matter what language you use. The concepts are the same
> regardless of the syntax. If I liked the parenthesis hell, I'd probably
> use Lisp. But it's still not a good argument to bring up every time Lisp
> is being discussed. You're dismissing all intelligent discussion by
> ranting about the syntax. Almost everyone here agrees that Lisp has too
> little syntax, so that point doesn't bring any new value.

Maybe you misunderstood my original statement.  Scheme may introduce some
nice paradigms, and be well designed, but I just couldn't get past the
parentheses.  Therefore, I have little experience in scheme, even though I
used it.  That's all I was saying.

My professor would write some scheme example on the board, and then write
a bunch of closing parentheses as he was saying "cdr, cons, etc." so I was
absolutely thoroughly lost most of the time :)  I'm surprised I even
passed that class.  We had to write a scheme interpreter in scheme, it was
probably way too advanced for my brain at the time.

-Steve