What are AST Macros?

Justin Johansson no at spam.com
Tue Jul 13 14:59:28 PDT 2010

retard wrote:
> Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:53:12 -0400, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>
>> Brainfuck is basically a toy example of a language.  Nobody uses it for
>> serious work.
>
>> Having used php for the last year in my job, there is one thing I
>> appreciate: with a language that is focused on string manipulation, it
>> is so much better to be able to simply output variables inside strings
>> rather than having to exit a quotation, and use a concatenation
>> operator.
>
> Php is basically a toy example of a language.  Nobody uses it for serious
> work. You just think your work is serious, but it isn't. Php shows what
> the world would look like if it was created by an "intelligent designer".

Yep, Php is totally LIC (lacking intellectual content).

However, as sad as the state of affairs is, to say that nobody
uses it for serious work is plain wrong.

Magento ECommerce Platform
http://www.magentocommerce.com/

The Magento platform gets mega downloads and has tonnes and
tonnes of plugins developed by heaps and stacks of developers.

>> I don't have much experience with these languages except that in college
>> while taking a scheme course, I wanted to create a bonfire out of all
>> parentheses keys.
>
> Sounds really mature. "I have no experience with D, it's just some shitty
> language with lots of semicolons - yea, lots of semicolons is all I
> remember and that after finding Python I've never looked back - Python is
> the most native high-performance language I know". You've probably missed
> 99% of the power of Lisp by only focusing on parenthesis.

Many have heard the sad story of Viaweb, the online store application
developed by Paul Graham and Robert Morris and written in LISP

(Read all about the LISP secret weapon here)
http://www.paulgraham.com/avg.html

My understanding is that upon Yahoo acquiring Viaweb from Graham and
Morris for $megabucks, they canned LISP and rewrote the entire codebase
in some infidel PL.