What are AST Macros?

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Tue Jul 13 19:19:18 PDT 2010

Wed, 14 Jul 2010 07:45:18 +0930, Justin Johansson wrote:

> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "retard" <re at tard.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> news:i1i1se$ord$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>> Php is basically a toy example of a language.  Nobody uses it for
>>> serious work. You just think your work is serious, but it isn't. Php
>>> shows what the world would look like if it was created by an
>>> "intelligent designer".
>>>

>> I want to have that enlarged, framed and mounted on my wall.
>>
>> ("That's what she said!" Ha h..umm...no...sorry...)
>>
>> When I first read "Nobody uses it for serious work." I was about to hit
>> Reply and object, but the next sentence hit the nail right on the head.
>> *I've* used PHP plenty of times simply because I had to, but when you
>> get down to it, none of that (and really no web app in general IMO)
>> *really* qualifies as serious work. We may get paid to make it, but
>> it's all just pointless dinky shit (and most of it's made by amateurs
>> anyway).
>
> I know what you mean.  While I did reply and sort of object by citing
> the Magento ecommerce platform as a Php thing that is widely used, I
> noted that it (Php) is a sad reality.  As for retard's paragraph above,
> taken in toto with all it's subtlety, this is absolutely brilliant
> writing. :-)
>
> If retard were to write a book, I would be sure to buy a copy. I think
> there must be quite a bit of mutual respect between retard and Andrei.
> Andrei is a brilliant writer also.

Of course I admire him as person, but you're ranking my pseudonym a lot
higher than necessary.

Lately I've completely lossed interest in programming and focused on
managing techies. I kept learning new and new languages and concepts, but
eventually was left empty handed. The problem is, many language suck and
you not only need good technology but also people with adeguate skills.
The situation looks much brighter (at least to me) when you can focus on
higher level concepts and forget programming language constructs. Of
course it's still interesting to read new papers about PLs. LtU is a
great site.