State of and plans for the garbage collector

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisprog at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 00:18:38 PDT 2010

Okay. I really don't know much about garbage collectors, how they work, or what
makes one particularly good or bad (other than the fact that it needs to be
efficient execution-wise and manage memory wisely so that you don't use too much
of it or do anything else that would be an overall negative for performance).
However, from the comments here - both recent and in the past - it's pretty
clear that D's garbage collector is fairly outdated. I would assume that that
would be negative for performance - certainly it would mean that significant
improvements could be made.

So, my question is this: what are the plans for the garbage collector? Is the
intention to continue to improve it bit by bit, to give it a major overhaul at
some point, to outright replace it at a later date, or something else entirely?

If D is going to compete with C and C++, it needs to be highly efficient, and if
the garbage collector isn't up to snuff, that's going to be a big problem. I'm
not looking to complain about the current garbage collector - I really don't
know how good or bad it is - but if it is rather poor (as I've gotten the
impresison that it is - at least in some respects - from various discussions on
it here), then I'd assume that it needs a major overhaul or replacement at some
point. So, are there any specific plans with regards to that, or is that just
something that may be considered in the future?

- Jonathan M Davis