Overloading property vs. non-property

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 15 06:16:47 PDT 2010

Once property syntax is fully enforced (not necessarily recommended) will it
be possible to overload properties against non-properties?  My use case is
that I'm thinking about API improvements for my dflplot lib and one thing that
I would really like is to give a fluent interface to everything to further cut
back on the amount of boilerplate needed to generate simple plots.  For example:

Histogram(someData, 10)
    .barColor(getColor(255, 0, 0))
    .histType(HistType.Probability)
    .toFigure.title("A Histogram")
    .xLabel("Stuff").showAsMain();

The problem is that I also want things like barColor and title to be settable
via normal property syntax, using the equals sign.  Right now, this "just
works" because D's current non-analness about enforcing @property-ness is
awesome 99% of the time even if it leads to a few weird corner cases.  Will
there be a way to express such an interface to be provided (calling a setter
as either a member function or a property at the user's choice) once @property
is fully implemented?