Getting # Physical CPUs

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 15 12:02:30 PDT 2010

== Quote from Walter Bright (newshound2 at digitalmars.com)'s article
> > And here's the error I get when I try on a different machine w/ a more modern
> > distro (this one is probably due to lack of 64 bit libs):
> >
> > $ make -flinux.mak
> > make --no-print-directory -f linux.mak OS=posix BUILD=release
> > cc -c  -m32 -O3 etc/c/zlib/adler32.c
-ogenerated/posix/release/etc/c/zlib/adler32.o
> > cc -c  -m32 -O3 etc/c/zlib/compress.c
-ogenerated/posix/release/etc/c/zlib/compress.o
> > cc -c  -m32 -O3 etc/c/zlib/crc32.c -ogenerated/posix/release/etc/c/zlib/crc32.o
> > In file included from /usr/include/features.h:378,
> >                  from /usr/include/string.h:26,
> >                  from etc/c/zlib/zutil.h:23,
> >                  from etc/c/zlib/crc32.c:29:
> > /usr/include/gnu/stubs.h:7:27: error: gnu/stubs-32.h: No such file or directory
> > make[1]: *** [generated/posix/release/etc/c/zlib/crc32.o] Error 1
> > make: *** [release] Error 2
> This is most likely because you have not gotten the 32 bit dev system installed
> on your 64 bit system (it usually is not installed by the default linux
> install). Which one do you have?
> BTW, using a script rather than make wouldn't have helped you with the second issue.

Yeah, in my original most I meant to say it was probably due to lack of 32-bit
libs, which I don't have root privileges to install on the machine in question.
It can see the same file systems via NFS as some machines that do have 32-bit libs
installed, so my usual kludge is to always use a machine w/ 32-bit libs for
building.  Even so, I only figured this out b/c I was previously aware of the
problem.  The point isn't that make failed here, it's that it failed with an
absolutely inscrutable error message.  I wouldn't have even been able to begin
guessing what was wrong if I didn't already know about the 32-bit lib issue.