State of and plans for the garbage collector

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Thu Jul 15 12:14:51 PDT 2010

Bane, el 15 de julio a las 14:34 me escribiste:
> If I had to chose one topic with most bitchin' on this newsgroup
> I have impression it would be the one about GC. They usually goes from
> 'GC managed programs are slow, D ain't good enough', to 'language
> X has better GC than D', to ' GC that D has is bad at Z'.
>
> Why not make D summer of code - write your own GC optimized for
> special case of XYZ, send it, bundle all up in D with compiler switch
> '--useGC=XYZ'. That is only way to really compare what is best for
> special case.

The GC I'm working on is configurable at startup (runtime) via
environment variables. The idea is to be able to tune the GC for
different programs without even recompiling.

I already made the actual compile time options for memory stomping and
sentinel configurable at runtime and it works great, there is no
noticeable performance penalty when you don't use them either.

I think this is really the way to go.