dflplot/Plot2Kill, Most Mature *nix GUI For D2

F. Almeida francisco.m.almeida at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 03:16:10 PDT 2010

== Quote from Lars T. Kyllingstad (public at kyllingen.NOSPAMnet)'s article
> The wxD library hasn't been updated for a year or so, but at that time it
> did work with D2.  Perhaps you could check with the authors just how much
> work it would take to bring it up to date with the latest DMD?
>   http://wxd.sourceforge.net/
> As an added bonus, wxWidgets is available for all platforms, so by using
> wxD you wouldn't have to do the GUI abstraction yourself.
> BTW, gnuplot uses wxWidgets, so it's definitely usable for plotting.
> > Also, I've tentatively named the multiple GUI lib version of this
> > plotting lib Plot2Kill.  Is this reasonable, or do we want to keep the
> > names of our scientific libs more boring and politically correct?
> I see no reason why scientific libs should have more boring names than
> other libs.  Besides, I think the world is ready for a D library that
> doesn't have a 'D' in its name. ;)
> -Lars

Yes, I am an avid wxWidgets user (in C++, at least) and I too would love to see a D counterpart on par
with it (a truly cross-platform GUI library).

The problem wxD faces is that it is an indirect binding: it uses a pure C export binding (wxC) on top
of the C++ library in order to allow linking to D. Needless to say, with more extensive use of C++
features such as templates in later versions of wxWidgets, compatibility with C is broken, wxC is no
longer possible, and an actual binding to D becomes more difficult.
What we should do is fork wxD (or call it wxWidgets if you prefer), use the low level C API of
wxWidgets and take advantage of D's superior strings and version() statements to make a platform
agnostic library.

std.gui? One can always dream :D