enforce()?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Jul 19 13:24:04 PDT 2010

Steven Schveighoffer:
> What's so horrible about it?

Using about 210% of the RAM I was planning to use. And not even saying it in a small print somewhere in the docs.

> It's a corner case.

4-word structs are quite common. It's not a common corner.

> All I'm saying is the pad byte itself isn't a huge issue, even if it
> didn't exist, there would always be inefficient allocations.

That is too much inefficient.

> If you want to tune your app to be the most
> efficient at memory allocation, you need to study the allocator and learn
> its tricks and nuances.

The allocator can have some overhead, but this is offensive.

>  I think you have some misguided notion that C's
> allocator is perfect, and there's no hidden cost to it.  That's not the
> case.

I have written plenty code in C and its cost is not that high.

I have seen you have changed my bug report, the first I have signed as 'major' into an 'enhancement'. And you have said:
> DMD functions exactly as designed.

Then I can answer it's a *design* bug. I feel offended.