D's treatment of values versus side-effect free nullary functions

Jim Balter Jim at Balter.name
Sun Jul 25 12:41:40 PDT 2010

"Rainer Deyke" <rainerd at eldwood.com> wrote in message
news:i2g3oo$von$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 7/24/2010 15:34, Jim Balter wrote:
>> The point about difficulty goes to why this is not a matter of the
>> halting problem. Even if the halting problem were decidable, that would
>> not help us in the slightest because we are trying to solve a
>> *practical* problem. Even if you could prove, for every given function,
>> whether it would halt on all inputs, that wouldn't tell you which ones
>> to perform CTFE on -- we want CTFE to terminate before the programmer
>> dies of old age. The halting problem is strictly a matter of theory;
>> it's ironic to see someone who has designed a programming language based
>> on *pragmatic* rather than theoretical considerations to invoke it.
>
> That's exactly backwards.  It's better to catch errors at compile time
> than at run time.  A program that fails to terminate and fails to
> perform I/O is a faulty program.  (A function that performs I/O is
> obviously not a candidate for CTFE.)  I'd rather catch the faulty
> program by having the compiler lock up at compile time than by having
> the compiled program lock up after deployment.  Testing whether the
> program terminates at compile time by attempting to execute the program
> at compile time is a feature, not a bug.

You have a good point, and that point would imply that whether a function
would terminate, or how long it would take in general, isn't relevant to the
decision of whether CTFE should be done. But there are (at least) two
problems: 1) you can't be certain that the code will be run at run time at
all -- in generic code you could easily have function invocations with
constant values that would fail in various ways but the function is never
run with those values because of prior tests. But CTFE wouldn't be nearly as
useful if it is performed only for code that you can be certain will run. If
you  can't be certain, then you need a conservative approach, and you must
not report errors that might never occur at run time; if you can be certain,
then you could forge ahead at compile time no matter how long the
computation would take. But: 2) You do not have the debug facilities at
compile time that you have at run time. If the program stalls at run time,
you can attach a debugger to it and find out what it's doing. But if CTFE is
running at compile time and the compiler stalls, you don't know why ...
unless the compiler has a mechanism such that you can interrupt it and it
can report an execution trace of the CTFE code. That still is not enough --
you really need full debug capabilites to trace the code, all available at
compile time. That's just too much.