Why don't other programming languages have ranges?

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Mon Jul 26 13:45:58 PDT 2010

Tue, 27 Jul 2010 04:10:14 +0800, KennyTM~ wrote:

> On Jul 27, 10 02:42, Walter Bright wrote:
>> retard wrote:
>>> I think the Java/C# developers gave up X % of the execution speed to
>>> avoid hard crashes (exceptions instead of segfaults)
>>
>> 1. segfaults *are* exceptions.
>>
>> 2. D offers a memory safe subset, and D's ranges and algorithms are
>> memory safe.
>
> Catching exception is easy, but handling (segfault) signal is a mess.

Indeed, I'd like to know how you recover from a segfault without help
from an external processes. Sometimes you know that some routine might
fail once in a week, but the program MUST run non-stop for several
months. In Java you can achieve this with exceptions. And you can also
dynamically fix classes with the class loader.