poll about delete

F. Almeida francisco.m.almeida at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 09:00:42 PDT 2010

About a week ago (or more), I posted a poll to gather the community
opinion on how memory management in D should evolve. Link is
http://www.micropoll.com/akira/mpview/979834-265542

Last I saw, more than half of the D users who voted in it would prefer
that the delete keyword would remain in the language, instead of being
removed. Some of those don't even see a need for a clear() function,
but I disagree with them, I think it will be useful.

On the other hand, just because new safe memory management functions
are to be added to the standard library, that is no justification to
turn D into less of a systems programming language. Which is what will
happen if we give preference to the GC instead of making both styles
(managed or not managed, safe or unsafe) equally easy to adopt to any
programmer. This is the most attractive aspect of D and shouldn't be
discarded.