GC & IRC Server

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Tue Jul 27 13:53:47 PDT 2010

bearophile, el 27 de julio a las 12:45 me escribiste:
> Sean Kelly:
> > 1. There's a precise scanning patch in bugzilla right now.  If applied, this should largely eliminate this issue.
>
> But I/we don't know if or how well it works yet :-)

I did some testing, is not exhaustive at all, but it may give you some
idea of what to expect.

My conclusion is that this *first* approach is not as good as
conservative scanning for some programs, but the (Tango) runtime patch
is extremely simple and there are some optimization opportunities. All
this keeping the current GC design, but the compiler patch open the
possibilities of new designs that take better advantage of the type
information.