FFT Lib?

Fawzi Mohamed fawzi at gmx.ch
Tue Jul 27 14:13:29 PDT 2010

On 27-lug-10, at 21:47, Rory Mcguire wrote:

> dsimcha wrote:
>
>> I'm going to need an FFT library to perform some convolutions at some
>> point
>> soon.  Two absolute, non-negotiable requirements are that it be
>> written in
>> pure D and that it be Boost or compatibly (i.e. zlib or public
>> domain)
>> licensed.  I also prefer "simple and good enough" over "has every
>> micro-optimization in the book but a PITA to maintain/modify/use",
>> as long
>> as
>> it's at least a true fft as opposed to an O(N^2) DFT.  A few
>> questions:
>>
>> 1.  Does anyone already have such a lib?
>>
>> 2.  If noone has one I'll probably either write my own from
>> scratch  or
>> port some code from C if I can find code that's under a suitable
>> license
>> and written with a "simple and good enough" philosophy rather than an
>> "every tiny
>> optimization in the book" philosophy.  Could anyone recommend one
>> to port?
>>
>> 3.  If I do end up writing my own or porting, is there sufficient
>> interest
>> in this that I should try to target it for std.numerics, or would I
>> be
>> better off just making it good enough for my use case?
>

> Hi,
>
> I haven't used fft for anything before not sure what I'd use it for
> either,
> here is public domain code claiming to be a fft:
> 	http://www.dsprelated.com/showmessage/36380/1.php
> And here is a list of fft libs:
> 	http://fftw.org/benchfft/ffts.html
>
> -Rory

I was preceded, that is a good list. I can only say that FFTW is
*really* good, and if you structure your code well you should be able
to support more than one library.
I have wrappers for fftw, and it can be used with NArray (N
dimensional dense arrays in blip), but is not directly there exactly
due to the license.
So having a fallback FFT would be useful for me.

ciao
Fawzi