Are iterators and ranges going to co-exist?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Jul 27 15:12:38 PDT 2010

Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> On 20/07/2010 04:27, PercentEwe wrote:
>>
>> As far as anyone not coming from C++ is concerned, ranges == iterators.
>>

> Actually, thanks for pointing that out. It took me a while to figure
> that out, as it wasn't immediately clear.
>
> Sure, some D ranges also offer random access and are generally more
> powerful and better abstracted than iterators in other languages, but
> the basic functionality is still iterating/traversing and doing
> something on the current element.

Good point. Two highly related (and interrelated) pieces of work:

http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/1224
http://okmij.org/ftp/papers/LL3-collections-talk.pdf

Oleg makes great points, but there are powerful retorts to many of them.
I dream of finding the time to write a retort to that work one day.

Andrei