GC & IRC Server

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Tue Jul 27 16:49:13 PDT 2010

Rory Mcguire Wrote:

> Surely all programs that have logging use the GC extensively? I have had a
> problem with Java and log4j where the entire heap gets used up and its
> mostly because of unfreed concatenation of strings for logging e.g.:
> logger.info("connection from"~ socket.remoteAddress());

I would certainly hope not.  Loggers shouldn't allocate any memory at all, except perhaps the occasional buffer increase if they're doing something tricky.  I can't believe anyone would create a logger that expected the user to perform string concatenation for formatted output.  Then again, the Java standard library churns through memory like a Tasmanian Devil on an eating binge, so perhaps I shouldn't be terribly surprised.