Why don't other programming languages have ranges?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Jul 29 09:08:17 PDT 2010

dsimcha:
> overflow

Good provers take in account integral overflows too.

> rounding error

Interval (floating point) arithmetic can be used to face a large part of this problem. I hope to see a good Interval arithmetic lib for D in few years.

> compiler bugs
> OS bugs

Those software too can be proven :-) Microsoft is working on provable OS kernel.

> hardware bugs

You can use RAM with error correction, redundancy, etc.

Proofs are one useful tool for high-reliability systems. They are not enough, of course.

"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it.''
-- Knuth

Bye,
bearophile