Why don't other programming languages have ranges?

"Jérôme M. Berger" jeberger at free.fr
Fri Jul 30 10:16:19 PDT 2010

retard wrote:
> I really love digitalmars.D because this is one of the few places where
> 99% of the community has zero experience with other languages, other
> paradigms (non-imperative), automatic theorem provers, or anything not
> related to D. There's a whole choir against theorem proving now. The
> funniest thing is that none of you seem to have any clue about how those
> programs work. Has anyone except the almighty Andrei ever even downloaded
> a theorem prover?

	I have lots of experience with python. I have tried several other
languages including Haskell (hopelessly broken), caml (broken too
but maybe not hopeless), sml, felix, nimrod, and cyclone, java, php,
C and C++.

	As far as formal proving of software is concerned, I have yet to
find a *free* solution worth the trouble. OTOH, I have had some
experience with Klocwork and my opinion is neither as strongly in
favour as you seem to be, nor as strongly against as you imply we
are. Basically:
- Even tool like klockwork *cannot* prove that your code is 100%
correct and will never fail;
- However, it *will* find bugs in your code that you wouldn't have
found any other way. Whether that's worth the cost depends on how
reliable you want your soft to be and how confident you are of the
quality of your devs.

		Jerome
mailto:jeberger at free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr