Why don't other programming languages have ranges?

BCS none at anon.com
Sat Jul 31 18:48:31 PDT 2010

Hello Walter,

> BCS wrote:

>>> Mechanical engineering designs also tend to be a lot simpler than
>>> programs, although the environment they work in is far more complex.
>>> Modeling for the design analysis also takes a very simplified view
>>> of the actual design, justified by taking the worst case. For
>>> example, the strength calculations are done for the weakest cross
>>> section, and are not bothered with for the obviously stronger
>>> sections.
>>>
>> Now days they just jump to using finite element and compute
>> everything.
>>
> I still see calcs submitted for approval that are done by hand on
> paper.
>
> If you want to see real seat of the pants engineering, look at one of
> those hot rod shows like Musclecar. I don't think those guys have ever
> even seen a calculator.

and anyone who knows what they are doing should be able to clean up... but
where's the fun in that.

>>> Furthermore, after a while a good mechanical engineer develops a
>>> "feel" for things that is pretty darned accurate. Going through the
>>> analysis is a backup
>>>
>> No, the analysis is mandated, by code if not law.
>>
> Not much. Even for buildings, only a few critical spots need checking.
> This is possible because building structures are usually way
> over-designed, because it's cheap and convenient to do so. Where every
> gram counts, like in a spacecraft, everything is analyzed.

Mostly they avoid doing detailed analysts by reducing thing to already solved
problems: i.e. they do what the building code says or look up the accepted
values or follow the best practices.

These sources can be treated as theorems: under conditions X, Y and Z if
you satisfy constraints A, B and C, things don't break. Thus we have design
by modus ponens.

> I once had a fire hydrant installed on my property. The city required
> an engineering analysis, which ran to quite a stack of paper. After
> approval, the workers came by to install it. They never looked at the
> analysis, or even the drawings, they just dug up the water main and
> stuck a hydrant on it with a specialized tool they had. Done in an
> hour or so.

I'd almost bet that buried somewhere in the fine print of the "engineering
analysis" was the assertion "the standard way works" or the same things in
10 times the words.

--
... <IXOYE><