Containers I'd like to see in std.containers

Mihail Strashun m.strashun at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 13:45:46 PDT 2010

On 06/01/2010 10:48 PM, Philippe Sigaud wrote:

> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 22:27, Mihail Strashun <m.strashun at gmail.com
> <mailto:m.strashun at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     May be my question will be a bit naive, but what is about
>     boost::multi_index approach? I find it brilliant for dividing
>     container implementation from various container interfaces - things
>     you guys are arguing here about a bit.
>

> My even more naive answer is that I neved had occasion to use it, as I
> think I quit C++ before this existed in Boost (but I may be wrong). I
> read the docs for multi-index once or twice, though. Did you use it
> recently?

Yep, used it about a half an year ago last time. For example, for
defining nice OrderedMap with only a pair lines of code :) Liked idea a
lot and thought that similar stuff in D2 could be even better, getting
rid of C++ template syntax.

> Hey, I was re-reading Boost::MPL, Fusion and Graph recently and was
> thinking that it's be quite easier to do that in D.

I think same, don't no D so good yet, though.

> Interestingly, on Boost 1.43 (may 6th):
>

>       Major Updates
>
>     * Range <http://www.boost.org/libs/range/index.html>: Boost.Range
>       has undergone extensive updates that it include all of the
>       features from the recently reviewed Boost.RangeEx, from Neil Groves.
>           o Range-based version of the full STL iterator based algorithms.
>           o Range adaptors which can be combined with range-based
>             algorithms for unprecedented expressiveness and efficiency.
>           o New functions: irange, istream_range, join, combine.
>

> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_43_0/libs/range/doc/html/index.html
>
> Man, I didn't know they had it.

Boost::Range is hanging there for quite a long time - more than 5 years,
AFAIK.