One document about Go

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Jun 1 18:09:00 PDT 2010

"Alex Makhotin" <alex at bitprox.com> wrote in message
news:hu438s$jcb$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>  I've used editors that keep trying to re-arrange my code as I type (ex,
>> Visual Studio) and I find it to be annoying as hell. It just gets in my
>> way, even when it does correctly guess what I want. And often it doesn't,
>> because I tend to type code in a very non-linear way which confuses the
>> hell out of those "smart" editors.
>
> Why didn't you turn it off?

Umm, not really sure, it's been a while since I've used an editor that did
it. Could be that I just never thought to look for a setting. Or it could be
that I did end up turning it off and just don't remember. Not really sure.

> Could you, please, give some examples on what should be done with the
> 'smart' indentation option to work for you?

I'm pretty much convinced that it would have to be able to read my mind. And
probably write to my mind too. It's just that it keeps surprising me, doing
things I don't expect it to do or that I just don't want it to do. And the
way I want to go about writing something tends to change from moment to
moment anyway. Plus, I've never found formatting my own code to be difficult
or time-consuming enough to really need automated assistance anyway.

What I do like is what Programmer's Notepad 2 does: when I hit "Enter", it
auto-indents the new line exactly the same as the line above it. And then it
stays out of my way and doesn't change a thing until the next time I hit
"Enter", at which point it'll do just like before: auto-indent the new line
to however the previous line was indented, and leave everything else alone.
Nice, simple, predictable, frequently helpful, never gets in my way (and
*especially* never tries to decide that it knows better than me how my code
should be formatted, like VS tends to do). The "smart" ones have much more
complex behavior that's not as easy to anticipate when my mind is
preoccupied with the programming task at hand.