Binary data-structure serialization

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 2 12:04:08 PDT 2010

On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 21:59:20 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu

> On 06/01/2010 08:53 PM, bearophile wrote:
>> Andrei Alexandrescu Wrote:
>>> Walter and I agreed to let it go, but somehow forgot to
>>> announce it.
>>
>> Are stack-allocated (scoped) classes too gone?
>
> De facto no, de jure yes.

I don't really understand this.  Are they going to be gone or not?

In any case, can we at least keep them for unsafe D?  Stack allocation is
not easy to do via placement new, the compiler is much better suited for
it, and stack allocating classes can be a huge performance gain.  Until we
get full escape analysis, scope classes are the only option.

-Steve