need clarification: will typedef, C struct initialization, etc.

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Jun 3 12:28:11 PDT 2010

Adam Ruppe:

> When it comes to code accessibility, the compiler is a black box. You
> can't edit it, even in theory, without breaking the language. A
> library's source might be ugly, but it is at least available for you
> to play with while still writing valid D code.

Code that can be mantained inside the compiler is sometimes better than user code that can't be touched (I have tried to improve the error messages of those bitfields for about one hour and I have failed) :-)

>But, be honest, have you ever actually put two typedefs on one line?<

I think I have never put two typedefs on one line, but hidden traps are bad.

>If CTFE could get to a static variable, that'd be cool.<

Or the gensym can have compiler support ;-)
If D3 will have some form of macros then a gensym will probably be even more useful.

Bye,
bearophile