Marketing of D - article topic ideas?

Adam Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 18:34:05 PDT 2010

I recently rewrote a huge PHP application in D2. It isn't a completely
fair comparison, since the PHP was written by, well to be polite, PHP
"programmers", but the results were pretty astounding.

90% reduction in lines of code [!], 200% improvement in speed under
heavy load (only 50% improvement under light load, still good, but not
as good), and the code is actually maintainable! Also, the original
took about a year for the first team to write. My D rewrite took 6
weeks. Oh yeah, and the PHP is riddled with security holes. Not so
much with the D.

The best part about the speed is that it is just running as plain old
CGI and my code does a lot of inefficient looping through XML. I could
probably double the speed again by improving that.

I might be able to write this into an article, but what I've done so
far is just showed it off to other coders in some private messages on
forums. A complication in publically showing it off is it is closed
source though. The speed advantage isn't apparent until the code
actually does something; PHP is much faster for hello world, but gets
spanked when it comes to the actual work.