Marketing of D - article topic ideas?

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Sat Jun 5 16:24:41 PDT 2010

On 06/06/10 00:06, Adam Ruppe wrote:
> On 6/5/10, Jeff Nowakowski<jeff at dilacero.org>  wrote:
>> Why is this interesting? D is a static, compiled, "system" language
>> designed to be near the speed of C. PHP is a scripting language, similar
>> to Perl, but built to make web coding easier.
>
> The reason I did the benchmarks was because I was talking to someone
> about it, and he said "yeah, php sucks, but isn't CGI really slow?" It
> isn't, not with D.

It isn't anyway, at least not with fastcgi - take mod_php vs php in
fcgi, fcgi is far *far* faster.

> If you don't address request speed and scalability, nobody's going to
> listen to the other benefits. Opening with a statement like "200%
> faster" keeps their attention.

That is a huge speed improvement, always a good opening statement!

> The biggest benefit, however, isn't running speed, but instead code
> maintainability.

Being the only two languages I'd call myself fluent in, I'd definitely
call D easier to maintain than PHP... I guess this is easily debatable
though.