Marketing of D - article topic ideas?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Jun 6 12:10:52 PDT 2010

"Robert Clipsham" <robert at octarineparrot.com> wrote in message
news:hugmcq$2e8b$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 06/06/10 18:26, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> Heh heh. "good reliable code in PHP" *is* a contradiction of terms, after
>> all ;)
>
> <?php echo 'Not true! D:', "\n"; ?>
> This said, I bet we could find a case where that doesn't work properly :3

I was thinking the same thing!

>> As much as I prefer to write Haxe (and then compile it down to PHP), one
>> of
>> the [many] things that bugs me about Haxe is that it doesn't appear to do
>> any of those checks automatically. Big missed opportunity there.
>
> I've never really looked into haxe, but I agree, if it doesn't do those
> checks it's fairly useless -

You can still do the checks yourself. And the language itself, while
certainly no D, is at least an improvement over using PHP directly. So it's
still a net win, just not as big of a win as it could be.

> have you made a bug report? Your dreams could come true...

Yes, probably worth a shot, but I think I like your other idea below
better... ;)

> Or you could forget and be forced to use D.. Dang!
>

>> I've been positively salivating at the idea of combining D, FastCGI and a
>> D-ified rails-like framework. Haven't gotten around to it though.
>> Fortunately, I did recently find out that the hosts I'm currently using
>> allow custom-made CGI. Unfortunately, I can't use FastCGI on them,
>> although
>> I've been getting so fed up with PHP lately (both the PHP language and
>> the
>> PHP platform - Haxe only sheilds you from [parts of] the language, not
>> the
>> platform), that I think I can live perfectly happily without FastCGI.
>
> I've been toying with the same idea, the framework I've been looking at
> porting uses a lot of runtime reflection though which I'm not sure is easy
> enough to do in D1. I've strayed away from D2 now after a couple of
> unsuccessful attempts at using it.

Haxe already has a rails-like framework I've been using (Haxe Igniter). It
does have room for improvement, though. In fact I ended up hacking up a few
things in it. But yea, I've been really itching to make one in D. But hell,
with more immediate paid(-ish) work in the way, it's taking me long enough
just to get the next version of my Goldie project out.